19.2.14

oomk

There is a little interview with me
in issue two of oomk zine about
The Painter's Family 1911, After H.M.

Here it is:












Who are you and what do you do?

I was born in South East London and studied Illustration at Camberwell and then at the Royal College of Art, graduating in 2012. My work is about things (usually people) observed in real life: tastes, relationships, mental health, the way things go.

Can you tell us a bit about the project, how did it come about?


Studio Operative asked if I’d like to publish something, so we messed about with a series of moody car drawings which didn't work. The night before we needed to start production I remembered these copies of Matisse’s The Painter's Family, 1911 that I had drawn. I made them because I’d looked forward to drawing the dress as a dark block against all the patterns. I like how contorted the family’s faces are. It was Matthew Stuart’s idea to produce an unbound booklet; each drawing folded, sitting one on top of the other.

We printed it on a risograph, which looks like and sounds like a photocopier that does screen prints. It 'exposes' a little paper screen all by itself, called a master. The ink is squashed through the master onto paper. It’s trial and error friendly as it’s cheap.

In your opinion, what is illustration? 

For me it’s an excuse to make work.

Are you working on any current illustration projects?

I'm casting busts of made-up characters called Blessing, Clare and Neil that I sculpted from Fimo.

Do you have a favourite illustrator/ why do you like their work? 

Mike Redmond is the best drawer I know.

19.02.14